Skillet Eggs and PolentaEgg-cellent Eats
- 2 teaspoons – olive oil, divided
- 1 cup – sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup – red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup – zucchini, halved lengthwise and sliced into half-moons
- 1 jar (32 ounces) – marinara sauce
- 2 1/2 cups – low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup – finely ground polenta or cornmeal
- 4 – eggs
- fresh basil, chopped (optional)
Spray a large non-stick skillet with oil over medium-high. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, and zucchini, and sauté until vegetables soften slightly, about 3 minutes. Add marinara and simmer to heat through. Reduce heat to low and keep warm.
Bring milk and salt to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high. Slowly whisk in polenta, stirring constantly to prevent lumps from forming. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, cover, and keep warm.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-high. Carefully crack eggs into pan and cook until whites are set and yolks are cooked to desired doneness, 4 to 6 minutes.
To serve, divide polenta among 4 shallow serving bowls; top with marinara and an egg. Sprinkle with chopped basil if desired.
290 calories; 7 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 190 mg cholesterol; 17 g protein; 40 g carbohydrates; 6 g fiber; 690 mg sodium; 250 mg calcium. Nutrition figures based on using fat-free milk.