Falafel-Avocado ToastOdds And Ends
- 1 – ripe avocado, peeled, pitted, coarsely chopped
- 1 15-ounce can – chickpeas, drained, rinsed
- 2 tablespoons – lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon – ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon – garlic powder
- Tabasco sauce to taste (optional)
- 1/4 cup – diced red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup – sliced scallions
- 8 slices – whole grain bread, toasted
- 16 slices – thinly sliced ripe tomato (about 3 small tomatoes)
- 24 slices – thinly sliced cucumber (about 1/2 an English cucumber)
- 8 tablespoons – fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- Pair each serving with:
- 8-ounce glass of milk
In a medium bowl, mash the avocado and chickpeas together with the lemon juice, cumin, garlic powder, and Tabasco (optional) using a fork (or pulse in a food processor to coarsely mash).
Fold in the bell pepper and scallions, then divide among toasted bread. Top with tomato and cucumber slices and a tablespoon of yogurt. Serve with 8-ounce glass of milk.
430 calories; 12 g fat; 2 g saturated fat; 5 mg cholesterol; 25 g protein; 59 g carbohydrates; 13 g fiber; 460 mg sodium; 440 mg calcium. Nutrition figures based on using fat-free milk, and include an 8-ounce glass of milk.