Garlic Herb Potato HashOdds And Ends
This diner favorite is about to become your new favorite homemade version of hash browns. Diced potatoes and turkey bacon mix with garlic and herbs for a delectable savory side at breakfast.
- 8 – small red potatoes, skin-on and diced (about 3 cups)
- 1 – red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons – unsalted butter
- 3 teaspoons – minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon – fresh thyme, finely chopped, plus more for topping if needed
- 1 teaspoon – fresh oregano, finely chopped, plus more for topping if needed
- 2 tablespoons – all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup – milk
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- 1/4 teaspoon – pepper
- 2 slices – low-sodium turkey bacon, cooked near crispy
- 1/4 cup – finely grated reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- Pair each serving with:
- 8-ounce glass of milk
Add potatoes, bell peppers, butter, garlic, thyme and oregano to a large skillet. Stir over medium heat until butter is melted and potatoes are fork-tender.
Sprinkle flour over potato mixture and stir to coat. Gradually stir in 2/3 cup milk until a sauce forms. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir in slices of turkey bacon. Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and cover, allowing to melt for 1-2 minutes. Uncover and top with additional herbs, if desired, before serving.
Pair each serving with an 8-ounce glass of milk and serve. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Tiffany Edwards of Creme de la Crumb
320 calories; 11 g fat; 6 g saturated fat; 45 mg cholesterol; 17 g protein; 38 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 440 mg sodium; 434 mg calcium. Nutrition figures based on using fat-free milk and include an 8-ounce glass of milk.