Grab-and-Go Mini Breakfast CasserolesBreakfast
Looking for a quick grab-and-go breakfast this morning? Try two mini breakfast casseroles paired with an 8-ounce glass of milk for 24g of protein per serving. It’s a perfect breakfast for when you’re in a hurry and need your morning meal on the go.
- canola oil pan spray
- 4-5 slices – whole-wheat bread, cubed (4 large slices or 5 small slices)
- 2 tablespoons – extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup – shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3 – scallions, green parts sliced, white parts chopped
- 1 teaspoon – salt-free garlic and herb seasoning (or use 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder)
- 1/4 teaspoon – salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-ounce) package – frozen chopped spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
- 5 – large eggs
- 1 1/4 cups – low-fat milk
- Pair each serving with:
- 8-ounce glass of milk
Coat muffin tin with pan spray. Preheat oven to 375°F.
In a large mixing bowl, coat cubed bread with olive oil. Add cheese, scallions, garlic seasoning, salt and pepper, and crumble in the spinach. Stir well. Divide bread mixture evenly among the 12 muffin tin wells.
In the same mixing bowl, beat the eggs and stir in the milk. Pour the mixture over the bread in the muffin tin.
Bake for 30 minutes, or until the bread on top is golden and crispy and the centers are set, not wet-looking. (Test by pressing lightly with your fingertips—the centers should bounce back. Or insert a toothpick into the center and it should come out clean.)
Cool for 5 minutes. Cut around the edges of the casseroles to remove from the muffin tins. Leftovers can be reheated in the toaster oven or microwave.
Enjoy with a glass of real milk!
320 calories; 14 g fat; 5 g saturated fat; 170 mg cholesterol; 24 g protein; 26 g carbohydrates; 3 g fiber; 570 mg sodium; 564 mg calcium. Nutrition figures include an 8-ounce glass of low-fat milk.